As a reminder, employers need to be mindful when foreign national employees change from a nonimmigrant status exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholding under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) to a status in which all payroll taxes apply, especially this time of year when many recently hired foreign national employees in the U.S. are making this switch.
Want to stay informed?
Subscribe to our blogs & advisoriessign up here
- Trump Administration Can Block Immigrant's Abortion Till Oct. 31
- Medical students in limbo as young immigrant program ends
- Foley Hoag Partner Martha Coakley Receives Innovation Award from BU Law Immigrants' Rights Program
- How the Latest Travel Ban and TROs Affect Foreign National Employees
- If Pain, Yes Gain—Part XXXVII: NYC Set to Expand Earned Sick Time Act
- Diversity Visa (Green Card Lottery) Entries Discarded by DOS Due to Glitch, New Period Opens on October 18, 2017
- 2019 Diversity Visa Lottery Registration Open October 3 – November 7, 2017
- EB-5 Regional Center Program Extended to December 8, 2017
- DHS to Wind Down DACA Program Over a Six-Month Period
- USCIS to Implement In-Person Interviews for Certain Immigration Benefits