H-3 Visa: Nonimmigrant Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor

The H-3 visa is for foreign nationals who wish to come to the U.S. to receive training that is not available in their home countries. The H-3 is designed to afford foreign nationals with job-related training that can be used for work outside the United States. In order to train under an H-3 visa, you must be invited by an individual or organization for the purpose of receiving training.

An H-3 trainee may come to train in any field, with the exception of graduate or medical education training which is covered under the J-1 Visa. Some of the common H-3 fields of training include commerce, communications, finance, government, transportation, and agriculture.

The H-3 visa is also available for foreign nationals coming to the U.S. to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program for children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.