I Need to Apply For or Renew a Passport

Applications for new or renewed passports must be made with the U.S. Department of State. In order to apply, you must file an application form, along with the appropriate fee, photographs, and proof that you are a U.S. citizen. If you are a first time applicant, you will likely have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate to prove citizenship. Requests for birth certificates and passport applications can take some time, and so it is important to plan accordingly if you have upcoming travel.

First time applicants and all applicants under the age of 16 must apply for a passport in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. Renewal applications may be submitted by mail.