M-1 Visa: Vocational Student

The M-1 Visa is similar to the F-1 in that it is for students who plan to study full time in the U.S. Unlike the F-1, however, the M-1 is for vocational as opposed to academic studies. M-1 students are permitted to study at public institutions including high schools, community or junior colleges, and other nonacademic programs. M-1 students are not permitted to work throughout the duration of their programs, however, they may participate in practical training after graduation. M-1s are also subject to the same registration and reporting requirements as F-1 students.