P-1 Visa: Athletes and Entertainment Groups

The P-1 visa is available to individual athletes and entertainment groups who are internationally recognized. The P-1 visa holder does not necessarily need to be internationally recognized himself, but his/her team or performing group must be internationally recognized. However, as part of an entertainment group, you must be an integral part of the group and have a sustained relationship with the group for at least one year in order to obtain a P-1 visa. Circus personnel are exempt from this requirement.

Aside from the P-1 visa, there is a P-2 visa for performers or groups under the reciprocal exchange program. There is also a P-3 classification which is available to participants of culturally unique programs.