S, T and U Visas

The S, T, and U visas are three classes of visas available to certain foreign nationals who are either victims of serious crimes or who have information to aid law enforcement. There are annual caps on all three visas, and so availability is limited.

The S Visa is available to individuals who have important, reliable information about a criminal organization or enterprise.  In order to be eligible for an S visa, it must be determined that the information you have is essential, and you must be willing to provide that information to state or federal law enforcement agents. Although the S visa may not be extended, it does create a path to Lawful Permanent Residence after three years, as long as your information substantially contributed to the success of an investigation.

The T visa is for victims of human trafficking. Human trafficking involves using force, fraud, or coercion to induce someone to engage in commercial sex acts or labor services. To be eligible for a T visa as a victim of human trafficking, you must agree to assist in prosecution of the perpetrators or be under the age of 18.  Like the S visa, the T visa provides a path to Lawful Permanent Residence after three years.

The U visa, much like the T visa, is for victims of serious crimes. You are eligible for a U visa if you have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of a serious crime, including domestic violence.  You must also be helpful to law enforcement in order to obtain a U visa. U visa holders are also able to apply for Lawful Permanent Residence after three years.

In addition to these visas, there are other options available to victims under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

If you are a victim of one of the crimes discussed above, please first seek the aid of law enforcement and a local shelter.