The Fiancé Visa

The fiancé visa is a visa that allows a foreign national to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marrying his/her U.S. citizen fiancé. The visa petition is filed in the United States and the foreign fiancé is interviewed abroad at the consulate.  If the visa is approved, the foreign national will be permitted to enter the U.S. to marry his/her fiancé. However, once a person enters on a fiancé visa, he/she must marry the U.S. citizen fiancé who filed the original petition within 90 days. Fiancé visa holders are not permitted to change status once they enter the U.S., and so failure to marry the person who petitioned you within 90 days will result in overstaying your status if you do not depart the U.S. immediately.